Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
Disclaimer: Unless stated, Mt. SAC's Teacher Preparation Institute is not responsible for any listing on this site. All postings are updated on a monthly basis and/or as needed. It is the responsibility of the seeker to verify and apply to featured employment & volunteer positions.
Mt. San Antonio College's Career Center is a great resource for students seeking employment opportunities, mock interviews, resume assistance, and more. Visit the Career Center's website.
Work as a tutor at Mt SAC's Academic Support & Achievement Center (ASAC)
Drop-in tutors, study group tutors, embedded tutors, Supplemental Instruction leaders, and student assistant front desk staff are hired on an as-needed, ongoing basis. Interested applicants may complete an electronic application or pick up a paper application at the ASAC front counter in Bldg. 6, 1st floor (South entrance). The ASAC may schedule an interview with the applicant based on completion of the employment packet and verification that minimum qualifications have been met. The needs of the ASAC are another factor in determining prospective interviews. Submission of an application packet does not guarantee an interview. For more details, visit the ASAC website or you can also contact the center at (909) 274-4300.
Academic Support & Achievement Center (ASAC)
- Edjoin is the #1 Education Job Board in the nation for jobs in education and used by school districts throughout California. You can find an array of job listings, e.g., credentialed teaching positions, instructional aide, tutoring, and many more. Visit the EdJoin.org website.
TPI office has two work-study positions this semester. You need to qualify for work-study for these positions. Please see the details below, and share it with people you know who might be interested. The job posting is now open via Mountie CareerSource (search by TPI) - Apply today!
Work-Study - Student Assistant V
10 hours a week
Under the general supervision of the Teacher Prep management, operate the front office desk which includes, greeting guests, answer inquiries, answer phones, maintain files, check out resources, generate documents and flyers as needed, generate orientation packets, maintain textbook inventory, maintain record keeping of new members, send correspondence emails as needed, web research as needed, research job opening on EdJoin.org for education related jobs, and assist with program scheduling and events as needed.
Number of Openings: 2
Work Well Independently
- Teacher Prep is looking for TPI Members to join the TPI team by becoming a TPI Student Ambassador for Spring 2022!Pay rate: $15 per hourHours: VaryStart Date: Spring 2022Min requirements: Public speaking skills, current Mt. SAC and TPI student (1 completed semester) and enrolled in min of 6 units.Interested? Send us your resume via email at email@example.com!
- Baldwin Park USD Avid TutorAzusa USD Avid Tutor
https://www.edjoin.org/Home/DistrictJobPosting/1468030Claremont USD Avid Tutor - Middle SchoolCollege Aide West Covina Unified/High School AVID TutorCollege Aide West Covina Unified/Elementary School TutorPomona Unified College Intern TutorPrivate Tutoring Company
- The ACCESS department in Student Services is seeking an individual with experience and/or knowledge tutoring students with disabilities in the area of College level Mathematics including but not limited to Statistics and Algebra.* Join lecture courses, take notes, work in and outside of classes to support students with academic content and implementing study strategies. May also meet with students one-on-one or oversee students working in a classroom or lab environment. Works closely with the faculty in helping to develop instructional materials and occasionally works on special projects related to tutor training and other related activities.Hours needed: Tuesdays/Thursdays: 8:30am-3:30pm Wednesdays: 9:00am-12:00pm *Additional hours may be on campus or onlinePay: $15.75 per hourContact: firstname.lastname@example.org*Note: completion of Math 110 Elementary Statistics for this position is required. The posting asks for "experience and/or knowledge tutoring students with disabilities", however, if a student has interest without previous experience, this would be a great opportunity to learn more about disabilities and academic accommodations.
Writing Center tutors/Tutors in the classroom (TCs) are hired on an ongoing, as-needed basis. Interested applicants may complete an electronic application or pick up a paper application at the Writing Center in Bldg. 26B, behind the big clock. The Writing Center may schedule an interview with the applicant based on completion of the employment packet and verification that the minimum qualifications have been met. Submission of an application packet does not guarantee an interview. For more details, you can also contact Nicole Blean at email@example.com.
Writing Center Tutors work one-on-one with Mt. SAC students on various writing topics. The main responsibility of a writing tutor is to improve student writers' skills. In order to do this, tutors must be familiar with the writing process, writing strategies, research strategies, and grammar rules. Tutors will rely on tutoring methods learned in TUTR 10A and 10B to work with students. (Students can receive paid training to earn a tutoring certificate, which will be a great addition to your teaching resume!)
Tutors in the Classroom (TCs) are placed and work with a specific English professor and class. Their duties include one-on-one tutoring and group tutoring sessions for their class held in the Writing Center. Tutors also support group work in the classroom. Additionally, tutors in the classroom are expected to create group writing topics, and be familiar with the writing process, writing strategies, research strategies, grammar rules, and all course-specific materials.
WRITING CENTER TUTOR: APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION:
- A grade of "A" or "B" in English 1A or its equivalent at another institution
- Completion of at least one semester of college course work
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Enrolled in 6 units during the fall and spring semesters
- Two faculty recommendations on writing ability and people skills.
- Required Experience: at least one semester of tutoring writing (for TCs only)
For complete application information, visit https://www.mtsac.edu/writingcenter/application.html
Volunteer position at Mt SAC Planetarium
Do you have a passion for STEM subjects and working with kids from a variety of ages? Volunteer duties would include setting up for field trip students who visit the Mt SAC campus, teaching about important principals of rocketry, demonstrating how to build a paper rocket, helping groups launch their rockets safely, and other misc duties when there is no field trip groups.Accepting volunteers for Spring 2022Hours: 8-12 hours/week on Mondays and Fridays (hours may vary)
Contact: Heather Rookhuyzen, Mt. SAC-Randall Planetarium Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Baldwin Park USD Substitute Instructional AideAzusa USD Student Support AssistantAzusa USD Student Support Assistant - Students with DisabilitiesAzusa USD Instructional Aide - Special EducationClaremont USD Paraeducator III (Special Ed)Claremont USD Paraeducator III Substitute (Special Ed)Pomona USD Instructional Aide, Substitute (Special Ed - Severely Handicapped)Pomona USD Paraeducator/Special Ed/Severely HandicappedWalnut Valley USD Instructional Aide II - Special Ed (Substitute)Walnut Valley USD Instructional Aide III - Special Ed (Substitute)
Volunteers will help a Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) student improve academically by cultivating their interest in learning. Participating students are 3rd - 6th graders from underserved communities.
Per LAUSD request, all tutors must complete a Live Scan background check.*
- Conduct lessons online
- Coordinate scheduling with the student’s family via text
- Commit to a 3-month period meeting twice a week
- Provide weekly feedback to the student’s teacher
- Bachelor’s Degree (or in progress) – community college students are also accepted
- 18 years of age or older
- Residing in California (for Live Scan purposes)
- Tech-savvy, organized, energetic and committed
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid internet access
- Fingerprinting background check (Live Scan)
- Enjoy working with kids!
- Volunteer applies online
- Volunteer completes a 15 min interview
- Conditionally accepted volunteers begin training and fingerprinting
- 2-3 self-paced online modules
- 1 hour live training
- Volunteer tutor is matched with a student.
*Students who attend the Wednesday, March 3rd information session will qualify for the reimbursement of live scan fees.
TPI Buddy Program
Sign up today at TPI Buddy Application
What is TPI Buddy? TPI Buddy program is informal mentorship that TPI students offers to Mt SAC students. Mentees include ESL students, new MT SAC students and anyone who enjoys having a friendly buddy on campus.
TPI students = TPI Buddies. Starting Fall 2021, all TPI students are expected to participate in at least 2 hours of TPI Buddy mentor activity and one ambassador activity per semester. Spring 2022 activities are held virtually or in-person.
TPI Buddy = ambassador. Please promote TPI and upcoming TPI orientations in your class(es) and in the MT SAC community. The flyer for orientation and info sheet will be provided for you.
TPI Buddy mentor activities. You will be paired with an ESL mentee and help with their English questions and building their conversational skills and/or run ESL workshops. All TPI students are asked to join TPI Canvas Hub@ https://tinyurl.com/TPIHUB
Run workshop for ESL Students! Want to run one hour virtual workshop for ESL students on things textbooks don't teach them? Possible topics: Internet slang, music, movie, everyday idioms. TPI provides you with a template you can use to create a fun and casual workshop.
Walnut Valley Unified School District is currently seeking after school program volunteers who can help ELD (English Language Development) students with their homework.
The knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese is a plus. Volunteers need to be available at least 1-2 days a week throughout Fall 2021 (till December) or longer. This is an on-site, in-person program.
Walnut High School (currently seeking Spanish speaking tutors) from 2:45 to 3:30pm (weekday)
Diamond Bar High School from 3:30 to 4:30pm(weekday)
Prior to commencing services, a volunteer is required to complete all of the following:
The WVUSD Application Package is available
a. Submit a completed application each school year
b. Provide a copy of a California Driver’s License or California I.D.
c. Provide proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination
d. Clear Tuberculosis test (good for 4 years) Fees paid by applicant (Mt. SAC Health Center offers TB testing)
e. Undergo a background check using Megan’s Law each school year. Verify under Megan’s Law website that the volunteer is not a registered sex offender. No fees. (This process takes approximately one week)
Michelle Chiou Foundation is currently seeking after school program volunteers who can help underserved, at-risk local 6-12th grade students with their homework.
Volunteers need to be available at least once a week (Monday - Sunday) throughout the 2021-2022 school year (till mid-June) to provide Individual/group mentorship. This is a virtual tutoring program via Zoom.
Interested? Attend an upcoming information session on Thursday, October 7 from 4:00-5:00 p.m. via Zoom. Registration for Zoom Information Session. A Zoom link and passcode will be emailed to you on Wednesday, October 6 before 1:00 p.m.
Azusa USD Preschool Aide
Baldwin Park USD Substitute Child Care Providers
Basset USD Child Development Assistant - Head Start